Subject: Re: trees
From: "Paul Davies" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 94 09:49:48 EDT

Hey Sergio,
   Regarding the creation of realistic trees with clip mapped spheres:
1. Try using spheres with a very high number of polygons and jitter them 
slightly.

2. Use 3 or 4 spheres of diminishing size for each tree model, placing the 
smaller inside the larger.

3. Give each sphere a seperate surface name and place DIFFERENT sparsely 
"vegetated" leaf clip maps on each.

4. If you really want to get fancy you may wish to deform the spheres to give 
them a more natural tree shape. If you've got 3.5 this may be a great experiment
for Metaforming - of course then you wouldn't start with dense polygonal 
spheres.

paul

Paul Davies
Artist/Animator
CapDisc
[email-masked]  or  uunet!capitol!davies